George Hunter / The Detroit News
Plymouth — A Detroit Lions player has been accused of sexual assault by Plymouth Police investigators, who sent a warrant request to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office.
Prosecutors are reviewing the warrant request to determine whether to bring charges against the player, according to a press release from the prosecutor’s spokeswoman, Maria Miller.
Plymouth Police Chief Al Cox told the Associated Press that the alleged assault involves a 22-year-old woman.
Neither Miller nor Cox named the accused player, but Cox said he is well-known and has been “totally cooperative” and “made himself very available” during the investigation.
The woman claims the incident occurred during the early morning hours of Jan. 4 at the Ironwood Grill, where Cox says a group of about 10 Lions players and support staff had joined a private party.
A Dearborn law firm, the Jaafar and Mahdi Law Group, confirmed earlier this month that it was representing a client who alleged she was sexually assaulted by a Lions player at the downtown Plymouth restaurant.
Associated Press contributed.